Monday, May 26, 2008

25May2008 Day 2 in the UK

We managed to survive the night, but Makenna woke up in the middle of the night crying, she had fallen of the bed. We had the mattress on the floor, but she was confused and scared. We ended bringing her mattress into our bedroom and Teri tried to sleep with her for a couple hours of her chatting and hitting Teri in the face. Finally, I told her to just get into her own bed and we will see how she does. Well, wouldn't you know it, the little pill fell right asleep, I mean: IMMEDIATELY. And there she slept all night. Waking me up in the morning with a Hi! and a wave. She is so cute.

I slept at least 12 hours that night, I had only gotten maybe 20 hours of sleep in the last 5 days, so it was a good recovery. Darren and Andrea showed up right at 11:00 and we went out to do some shopping and touring. We went to an "Argos" which here is like the old Service Merchandise was, catalogs and they bring the stuff down on a belt from the warehouse upstairs. We bought power converters and some nightlights and looked for a Gate to block off the stairs, but they were out. We next went to High Street and there are all sorts of small shops and pubs. Nice area to walk around, but it was windy and somewhat cold (I forgot my coat - borrowing Teri's, but its a girls coat - zipper on the wrong side...somehow I think I'm in for it though because Darren said: you don't want people at work knowing you where women's clothes!). Anyway, we looked for a gate and bought some more power converters at the equivalent of Radio Shack here.

We then went to Rochester Cathedral and Castle. Amazing! The castle is just a husk, but the Cathedral is absolutely amazing. Not quite like the Westminster Abbey (I saw this last year when I was here) with its amount of ancient statues, crypts, and busts, but just as huge and the stained glass is stunning. I need to go back during a service, but they were doing an evensong practice. I took a quick video with the camera, which I will try to post and some pictures. Well the pictures worked. I'll try the video...It is sideways, but you can here some music which is nice.



Well hopefully that will work, anyway, it was really humbling to see such an amazing place. Here is a snapshot of the Castle.

Anyway, Darren and Andrea were very gracious to show us all these things and we thank them very much.

We then went to have lunch at a local pub. It was OK, but nothing interesting. Makenna decided she had had enough with all of this, so we left quickly and headed back home. Darren showed us where I am going to start working tomorrow and also a cheaper grocery store. We bought a gate at Toy's R Us so, we were all set with purchases (I need to get a coat at some point, but not today). We got back home and immediately all of us fell asleep. Makenna wouldn't wake up later when we tried to get ready to go to dinner. Makenna loves Chinese food, though and eventually we coaxed her out of her slumber and she loved dinner. Paid the equivalent of $60 for a Chinese buffet here (they didn't even charge us for Makenna - it is going to be a while before I just don't care.)

Then home, Makenna repeating "Nuts!" again many times as I drove setting off the beeping thing: see 25May post. (Good riddance vehicle tomorrow). Makenna is all set with the sound make and nightlight and a gate keeping her from falling down the stairs and is soundly asleep right now after initially being incredibly upset, but Teri slept with her for a time and calmed her down. Let's hope she stays that way.

No comments: