Friday, June 20, 2008

20June2008: Day 26: Kentish Lady River Boat

I've been wanting for some time to take this River Boat ride on the Medway and since it's pretty cheap (5 pounds) for an hour trip, I figured today was the last opportunity for Makenna and I to try it out. I was also hoping to go to an animal park that they'll stop at on request but it wasn't going to work into the schedule today. So we walked (okay, I walked, she rode in the "pushcart"), downtown to pick up the boat. It was an okay trip. We sat inside the boat as I figured safety over viewing, but it had large windows to see out of and on the half-hour trip up the Medway they talked about the different buildings and sites along the way and a bit about it's history. The one that really caught my attention was about this castle but it's not open to the public as it's privately owned. I was like, how cool to own your own castle. There were also a lot of boats, yachts, dinghy's on the river.

Makenna did fairly well on the trip. I was prepared with a couple of cookies to keep her rants and raves down if needed - and it became needed after about 15-20 minutes. She really wanted to get out and walk around but for obvious reasons, I didn't let her wander. So that frustrates her.

We then walked back home but made a stop at a hair place so that I could get my hair cut and talk about how awful my hair has been since moving here. I know this part might get boring but let me tell you, it's been very distressing to have my hair turn to "straw" practically. The beauticians said that my hair was actually quite soft and that it's most likely due to the water here (which is what I figured), as they said it's very hard water. They said that when they were in NYC just a month or so ago, they noticed how soft their hair became from the water. Plus they mentioned how they loved it in NYC as it was so cheap. Imagine that, we think NYC is expensive (not including the "hot" deals you can get on the streets), but compared to here they know they are getting more for their dollar so to say. They were very nice and Makenna enjoyed them too as they gave her two biscuits (cookies). She repeatedly said goodbye to them as I was getting ready to go. She knows how to pour on the charm when needed. Even when she knows she's doing something we repeatedly tell her "no" to, like climbing the stairs here, she will climb a few steps and say "hi" real innocent like, repeatedly- that makes you smile and makes it hard to say no.

Well, then we just stopped at the park on the way back to the house. She actually climbed the steps to the slide all by herself (different slide from yesterday). She did really well. I'm so impressed with how much she learns so very quickly. She sees the other kids climbing this tire ladder or climbing up the slide the wrong way and she's off trying to do it too. Even with words, she will mimic you very quickly now (so note to all our foul-mouthed friends - NO MORE SWEARING Around Makenna!). Tonight Chris was driving on the wrong side of the road (for a very small amount of time) and when I mentioned it to him, he was like "Hello" and right away Makenna says "hello".

No comments: