Sunday, June 22, 2008

22June2008: Day 28: Church and a Birthday Party





Teri wrote the last two posts, so I'm back at it now. Today started early with me getting up to go to an 8:00 am service at All Saints Maidstone. It is a huge perpedicular or parallel style church. There were only about 10 of us there, but I hung around after and talked with someone who knew a lot about the Church. We walked around and I took some snapshots, which I included below. Apparently this was the church of Lawrence Washington, who is the great great grand uncle of President George Washington. What is interesting is the family crest. If you take a look at the picture, it shows this stars and stripes, so it was the Washington family crest that likely inspired our flag.


As I was talking with the gentleman the captain of the bell ringers came in and he said I could come up into the bell tower and watch them ring the bells. It was amazing to see.
Here is a picture when they were getting started and there were 6 people. They apparently run these chains of ringing that can take up to 3 hours to run through every combination of bell ringing. They have 10 bells, so each combination of run is changed by one bell in timing until all combinations are run out. So, the first run is bell 1, then 2, 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, and then the next one would ringing bell 2,1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...look at the page in the book. I took a snapshot of one of their music books. They are not allowed to look at them while ringing so they have to remember the order. It was pretty amazing. The captain was in London the day earlier ringing the bells for 3 hours. I heard on the news that people are complaining because people can't go into their gardens because the ringing is so loud and goes on for so long. I had no idea that this was what the bell ringing was like. They travel around to other churches ringing their bells as well...I think they called it "ringing the changes". I walked around the church and saw some very old graves from the 1700's.

I'm going to try to upload a movie, but I'll post what I have now and if you don't see the movie, then it failed.
Later that day we went to a birthday party for the child of the coworker whose wife Teri has been going to play group with. It was great to see Makenna really enjoy herself running around and playing in a bounce house and a ball pit. She really liked the ball pit and pretended to swim in it. Then there was this guy dressed up in a lions outfit that came and once she got over her initial fear she kept running and pulling his tail.
Anyway, we are moving tomorrow into the new house and we may not have any internet available until July 1st. Teri is not looking forward to it either, since there will be no cable until then as well. Oh well. I will try to do some updates at work so that I don't get too far behind. But, we are all packed and are very happy to get into the new house. It is much bigger and closer to what we are used to. It should be very nice and we can't wait.

No comments: