Sunday, October 5, 2008

5Oct2008: Day 133: More Pictures from Yesterday

Today was a day at home for Makenna and myself. Our church has General Conference twice a year which is broadcast from Salt Lake City but because of the time difference, they don't show it here until night time at the church. So I figured I'd just get it online later. I miss being able to just watch it at home with my family, doing impossible puzzles or playing cards.

So I thought I'd just include a few more pictures from yesterday's trip. I know Chris thought the whole Stonehenge thing is over-rated, which it is to some degree, but I still found it absolutely amazing and just to think of all the work that went into creating this weird monument of sorts for some purpose that we just don't really know. One-third of each of the stones that are upright, are buried below ground. So considering that this is over 5000 years old, they didn't really have the normal tools that could help them do that easily. Plus, the stones that lay across the top of the upright stones are actually hooked onto the stones. The upright stones have a bump on top and the ones that lay horizontally have a hollowed out area that the bump fits into. I didn't know that, I just thought they were balancing on top. If you look at the picture above, the farthest stone on the right that has the horizontal piece attached at the top, you can see a bump to it. The audio tour was neat, what I could hear of it. Since it was really windy and as Chris said, Makenna walking "against traffic" so to say, it made it difficult to concentrate on what was being said.

The thing I thought that was neat about the cathedral was a couple of the tombs that had skeleton-like figures on top instead of the nice carved figures. The one on the left is what you typically see but the one on the right was eerie. I'm not sure why some people would choose, if they chose, to be a skeletal figure compared to a nice ornate casket. The other really neat thing that this cathedral had was a reflecting pool and when you look into it, you can see the stain glass windows.
The only other thing Chris forgot to write about was Friday night. We had people over from his work. Just a small group to eat chicken wings. Of which, Chris made a huge mess. He took the seal off the bottle of Frank's Red Hot Sauce and was shaking the bottle and somehow the cap was loose. The mess was all over him, me, the wall, the floor, the brownies, the curtains, and other various things. We're still trying to soak some clothes in bleach to remove it. We have to try and find something to clean the walls. I think the curtain, which was white, is pretty well cleaned, better than it was. As for our clothes, well, his white T-Shirt might be a loss, and we haven't soaked my shirt or his shirt yet. We put on stain remover and washed but it's still noticeable to some extent. Unfortunately, I accidentally erased that picture of sauce all over him. But you can just picture it.

No comments: