Tuesday, May 12, 2009

12May2009: Day 351: Um, Excuse Me, I Want...

The past couple of weeks, Makenna has been saying, "Excuse me, I want...." and then inserting what ever it is she's wanting. Sometimes, she'll add an "um" prior to the statement. This whole thing surprises me because she's showing manners. It's not that we haven't been working on our please and thank-yous, but I don't ever recall telling her to say, "excuse me" prior to asking for something. The only time we tell her to say excuse me is when she's made some bodily noise.
I wonder if we have actually taught her to say excuse me by our example? Nah....couldn't be.

Today was also a bit off the beaten path of "typical." First, we actually got Makenna to sit on the training potty again for some time this morning and we had S U C C E S S! We were elated, singing the potty song, and made sure she got a piece of candy and a monster sticker. She wants to really put up a monster sticker any time she sits on the potty but we told her only when she's actually gone can she get one of these special stickers. We tried several times throughout the day and she was very willing to sit but with no success. She was a bit upset as she wanted another monster sticker and more candy. We'll keep trying.

Chris took the morning off as we had a guy coming over to take a look at what we're shipping back to the states. We had pretty much gotten a majority of it into the spare bedroom so it was a quick visit. The unfortunate thing is that we have too much stuff to send by air so we have to send it by boat. This means we don't get our stuff for about four weeks as compared to about 10 days to two weeks. The good news is that we can send more stuff as the crate is bigger and we have room for more.

After he left we went over to the rental car company. Chris noticed that on the paperwork we had for the car, it didn't show the marks or the fact that it only had a quarter tank of gas when they gave it to us. Plus, we had to get the fuse changed for the cigarette lighter (back when Makenna put gum in it and I stupidly used a key to try and get it out). When Chris tried to fix it, he locked up the radio so that needed a code. We got the correct paperwork and got the fuse changed. The radio is still not working but hopefully we'll get the code before our last trip.

Chris and I ran to the grocery store to finish the shopping I started yesterday and then we both went and picked up Makenna from nursery. She was so excited to see daddy pick her up. He dropped us off back at home and took the car and went to work.

I'm not sure why, but when Chris came home again, she ended up getting really upset. She was at first really elated but then when he wouldn't go sit with her on the bean bag she got upset. We were trying to eat dinner and she just wanted Chris to sit with her...I think. She'd whine about how she was hungry but she didn't want to sit and eat anything. She was as happy as she could be when dinner was over and her and daddy could sit in the bean bag together and watch Star Trek.

That's when I took it upon my self to say, "Um Excuse me...I'm going to take a bath." Hmm, maybe we do have good manners.

No comments: