Wednesday, February 11, 2009

11Feb2009: Day 261: Okay Here it goes

Tonight before putting Makenna to bed, she had the camera and kept saying, "okay, here it goes...cheese," and giving her cheesy smile that I love. The one where her eyes close into small slits.

Today was another day of frustration! It wasn't until ten minutes before we were supposed to be at swimming that I realized that Chris had yet again left with the keys to the car. He of course said, "call a taxi." This seemed futile to me because by the time I found a number to call, got a taxi to the house, and to the gym, the class would've had maybe fifteen minutes left. Probably less. I then also realized that the pushcart was in the car so that I would have to walk with Makenna to playgroup - more like carry. Chris called back and said that our neighbor across the street whom he works with, was coming back this way and would drop off the keys.

Since I had already resigned myself that I would be walking, and since I needed some sort of exercise, I decided to still walk to playgroup. I was going to take the little bike that has a handle to push her but I figured she would not be willing to sit on the bike the whole way. At least now I had the pushcart. Since the weather was decent - a bit chilly but not too bad, we left early so she could play at the park first.

She did pretty well with climbing the inclined steps to the slides. She asked to go on the swings a couple of times and really enjoyed it but then would ask within twenty seconds to be let down. That was frustrating. So when she asked a third time, I refused to put her in. It was time to go anyways. At playgroup she again mimicked "us" as she got into her favorite car and as soon as she got in said, "come on stupid thing." I swear I don't say it as much as she seems to. I guess I'll have to really watch myself when I say it. I must say it more that I realize and I don't think I'm the only one in the house who says it.

Of course, when we left playgroup, it was raining. Luckily it wasn't too hard. It's about a fifteen to twenty minute walk one way. As we passed the park, she again wanted to go down the slides and play. I had to repeatedly tell her it was too wet and not to mention nap time. When we got home she wanted her usual yogurt. Why is it that when you feel like you're in a hurry, that the child takes the longest time to do something? I wanted to get her into a nap and she was eating her yogurt with the other side of the spoon. It was making the process excruciatingly long. I had to realize it's no big deal she could do what she wants. I just knew that if she didn't have her full nap she would be a major grouch later.

Putting her down for a nap almost turned into a nightmare too. She had a bit of a messy diaper and I didn't realize it as it was only a little bit. So I was unprepared with no wipes. I couldn't find anything sharp around - go figure - to open up the box of wipes we had bought. I again told myself, "well, it's a good thing you can't find anything sharp as Makenna would've already found it by now." She thoroughly enjoyed running around naked as I was looking. I of course was not too happy. I was like, "just don't fall, or rub up against anything!" She was yelling, "poopy butt, poopy butt, droopy drawers, " and laughing. I'm glad she could laugh about it.

I feel this week, so far, I've been really good about not letting things like this get to me. I've realized by really letting things go - it's made me happier at night feeling like I've been a good mom in the sense that I haven't been a mean old grouch constantly reprimanding her for everything. I hope I can keep it up - maybe by saying to myself every morning, "okay...here it goes...cheese!"

No comments: