Wednesday, February 25, 2009

25Feb2009: Day 275: My Little Fish

Today was another swim day and boy did she do great! I really am glad they changed instructors as this one really tries to get things done and keep it more organized. In fact, we got a letter from the gym today telling us that this instructor is formally taking over for the rest of the swim semester (two weeks left,) and the other one is no longer affiliated with the gym. The girl who said she was going to find out what happened has been unable to, she said everyone is keeping it very hush-hush.

It also went on to say that next semester is going to be at a different time, which I’m not too happy about. Due to having a hard time finding an instructor to teach, they are only offering it Thursday afternoon at 2:30pm for Makenna’s age group. Unfortunately, this is about the time she’s down for a nap most days. Wednesday’s are after 3 due to play group and if I have an afternoon gym appointment then she usually gets a nap at 3pm. The problem is that I’ll have to keep her active and awake until the swim class. I think I’ll probably still sign up and hope that she’ll have the stamina to take the class without getting too grouchy. I’m sure afterwards she’ll be incredibly cranky as she usually is at after class now and class is at 10:30am – 11:00am.

But based on how well she enjoys it and how far she is coming, I feel I have to give it a try. When we first got to class today she tried going straight for the toys but I told her we had to get in the pool first. I was already in, and she just leaped/lept right in. I was there to catch her so don’t fret. Today’s big accomplishment was going under water. The teacher said to count to three and then either put her under or go under with her, and then come up smiling to let her know it’s a fun thing. I was very nervous that she wouldn’t close her mouth and take in a whole bunch of water. I told her to close her mouth and that we were going under. I counted and took her under with me and came up smiling. She was like, “oh, oh, oh,” but she didn’t mind it and she wasn’t choking. We did this about five more times throughout the swim class.

The teacher also had us have them sit on a water noodle and Makenna didn’t want to, of course, but I was able to get her to by bouncing her up and down on it. Then the teacher wanted them to put their arms out to move them around. I told Makenna to act like an airplane and that worked. I was holding her on the noodle as I knew she wouldn’t be able to float on her own.

I had to keep her distracted the best I could throughout the class from wanting the toys but she eventually got the watering can, which is what she really wanted from the beginning. While having the watering can, I was able to slip on some water floats onto her arms and then she really took off. She was a bit nervous but floated pretty well and really kicked her feet under water. After all of this, I actually had a really hard time getting her out of the water.

At afternoon playgroup they had the kids finger-painting. I tried to get Makenna to do it, and had to actually put her fingers in the paint and then rub it on the paper they provided. She didn’t like it. Other kids had fists full of paint and were globing it on the paper but not Makenna. I wonder if I instilled this clean-hand syndrome. She just wanted to get up and wash her hands.

On the bathroom-front, as I was cooking dinner, she came up to me and told to change her diaper. I was impressed that she told me and it's still another indicator that she’s getting closer. Before her bath I did get her to sit on the potty seat again for close to five seconds. I asked her to go pee-pee but she was done. Of course, after flushing the toilet, she started to go pee-pee on the floor. Oh well, we’ll get there.

One last thing she’s been doing a lot of is screaming. Whether it’s because she’s mad and frustrated or because she thinks it’s funny. So while she was taking her bath tonight, she started screaming and I asked, “Why are you screaming for?” She replied about a minute later, “I love screaming.” Oh, well, that explains it.

No comments: