Friday, February 27, 2009

27Feb2009: Day 277: Guess Who Went on the Potty

If only it was Makenna – alas – it was not. It was Hannah. I watched Hannah and her sister Bethany tonight as their parents were trying to finish packing as they are moving tomorrow. They are actually moving a bit closer to us which will be nice. Chris went over to help them pack the van while I watched the kids for a few hours.

While they were over, I could tell Hannah had to go so I asked her and she said yes and I put out the little training potty that we have for Makenna that she doesn’t use. Makenna got a huge kick out of seeing Hannah go – twice in fact. Makenna actually said she wanted to go but all she wanted to do really is just sit on the potty like Hannah did. Again, whatever gets us moving towards that end goal is fine with me. Makenna now doesn’t want to wipe with the toilet paper but just rip it off the roll and throw it in the toilet to flush. I’m thinking about starting the sticker chart and M&M rewards pretty soon. My fear is that out of frustration I’ll eat the M&Ms. Maybe I’ll by Maltesers which are like malt balls as I don’t care for them too much. I have to think it out a bit more as I might need a reward myself.

Since it was a nice day here I was able to hang out some laundry. Makenna’s room was getting this funky smell about it – kind of like sweat and drool so I washed her sheets, pillow case, duvet cover, and blanket that she sucks/chews on and hung them out to dry. I even pulled up the blinds in her room and opened the window while she was out at nursery. The window is too high for her to get up to but this kid is very resourceful so I felt better about having the window open while she was not home as there’s no screen or anything to keep her from falling out.

One example of her resourcefulness happened today when she decided that she wanted to put a different movie into her player. She took out the movie that was in there, climbed on the couch and found a stack of DVD’s and took off the top one and tried putting it her player. When I came back in the room and saw this strange DVD I couldn’t figure out where she had gotten it from until I looked around and saw the spindle of DVDr’s opened up. I don’t know if the lid wasn’t on their very well or what but I put the movie back and she did it again later after I made sure the lid was on properly. Not that this is any hard thing to open by any means but the fact that she figured it out amazed me. I’ve also had to move the toothpaste up higher in the bathroom as she constantly gets it and takes the top off. Luckily the few times she was successful it was her toothpaste and it has very little fluoride in it so her tasting it and going “Mmm lishous” was no big deal.

One closing comment - Makenna is 28 months old today - two more months and I'll have a 2.5 year old - unbelievable!

No comments: