Thursday, February 5, 2009

5Feb2009: Day 255: Funny Goings On

Makenna lately has been saying the word “scared.” Usually she’ll make a growling sound, say it’s a tiger and that he’s scared. I wish I could give a phonetic of how she’s saying it. It sounds so very cute. I’ll have to try and record it at some time and post it.

She also was saying “teethpaste” instead of toothpaste. She was all excited that I bought some toothpaste today. Later though, she bit her tongue while eating lunch. It was pretty bad as it started bleeding. Luckily I know that the tongue is the quickest to heal. Another saying was “a marshal” for commercial.

I also bought some apples as she was eating them like a fiend at the nursery at the gym when I went to pick her up. She was upset I was taking her away from eating them. I told her we could buy more at the grocery store. I was buying them when we first got here but I stopped because she wasn’t eating them. I asked the gym what specific kind they were and they just said red apples. When I got to the grocery store I did actually find “red apples.” She did eat some for lunch and after dinner snack, so that made me happy.

She’s still testing her limits by kicking us as we change her diaper and get her dressed, and spitting out drinks when we specifically tell her not to. Tonight she was going to put my water bottle into the dirty clothes hamper. I was saying, “no, no, no, no” and as I was going towards her, she dropped it in, laughed and ran away. I went and got it out and said, “aargghh, child you frustrate me.” She then went, “aargghh, frustrate.” I had to laugh at that. I also laughed when I heard her singing hokey pokey and she was saying “ooohh donkey” instead of hokey pokey. She was also smelling Chris’s shoe inserts and saying, “smells pretty.” I was like, “really?”

She is edging closer to being potty trained, I think. She’s constantly telling me “diaper change” or “nappy change.” Sometimes I think it’s just to be able to go wash her hands. She seems to want to see the sinks or bathrooms and wash her hands wherever we go. After she had a dirty diaper tonight, she came right to me and told me. I keep hoping that she’ll just tell me one day to go on the potty.

Makenna did pretty well in the hotels with the sleeping arrangements. All our rooms had a double bed with another pullout bed. She usually wouldn’t settle down until we turned off all the lights. It was too tempting to get out and run around. There was one night though where she basically laid there and I watched her gradually drift off to sleep. I think it was Monday night that she freaked us out. For some reason woke up in the middle of the night, hopped out of bed and came over to me and said, “mommy, mommy?” I responded that she should be in bed. She then asked about daddy and went over to where he was. Not sure why she woke up, if she was dreaming or what but I was glad she had the presence of mind to know we were right there and not at home in a different room.


I also wanted to include this taken at Edinburgh Castle when Makenna was asleep. We wanted to make sure she was warm as the wind was blowing so we covered her with the blanket but all you could see really was her hat - which made it look cute with the eyes, nose and antlers sticking out from the blanket.

The sidewalks and parking lots are still quite bad. The snow starts to melt in the warmer weather but doesn’t completely before the cold sets back in and refreezes it or makes it worse as now its spread out more. One guy was pushing his kid in a stroller in the street – that has to tell you how bad it is. We’re just as guilty as we don’t have a shovel or salt to clear our sidewalk either. I just hope nobody falls out there.

So now we're all caught up - sorry again about the long posts but we did a lot that we're going to want to remember. Hopefully we'll have more to come!

No comments: