Monday, January 12, 2009

12Jan2009: Day 231: Pretend

Makenna is starting to pretend a bit more. I've been trying to get her to pretend to cook, or pretend to eat or drink something out of a cup, etc. Well, today she woke up and wanted her bear/blanket Kerrigan to come downstairs with her. She was feeding it her milk and said it wanted cereal. At lunch time, she tried doing the same thing with the milk. I love watching her get on the phone (play or real,) and here her recreate conversations. Today, she got on our UK phone and I heard her going, "yup, yup, (a very cute laugh)" and then "okay, see ya."

The laugh is what made me smile. It was so cute. Unfortunately, she doesn't always have her cute moments. Today, I took her swimming to practice some of the things we learned in class and at one point, she was trying to get out of the pool and go to the adult swimming pool. I made her stay in the kids pool and she started screaming very loudly. She screamed a few times throughout the 20-30 minutes we were in the pool. I did get her to blow some more bubbles, albeit once, and I got her to practice moving along the side of the pool with her hands. I was hoping to buy her "floaties" or whatever you call them but the gym was out. Hopefully they'll have more by Wednesday.

She also had a bit of disobeying while we were at the grocery store. We had to go shopping after the gym (and swimming,) and I asked her if she wanted anything to eat. I had brought along a sandwich and some cereal but she was insistent that she didn't. I decided, against my better judgement, to leave it in the car as I didn't want extra stuff to worry about while shopping. So of course she started to have a breakdown in the supermarket. Especially when we started to buy noodles. What she kept doing, and I kept asking her not to, was to keep her mouth off the grocery cart. Even though we had a newer cart (it was cleaner and the seat looked brand new,) I still find it very disgusting to put her mouth on it. She kept doing it. I kept having her look at me as I was telling her to stop this behavior. She kept on doing it out of defiance. I just love it when she's defiant. It makes me wonder how it's going to be when she's a teenager. I'm also worried about getting sick. We've had about a 3 week reprieve from illness. Although, two of those weeks we were in the states. I'm trying really hard, and praying really hard, that we get a break from illnesses for a while. So by putting her mouth on something like a shopping cart is asking for illness in my opinion.

1 comment:

Dashley said...

Cute girl Terijo! This whole toddler disobeying thing is way overrated! I don't like it at all. Part of me wonders what I have taught Marshall and what is just his personality. This must be the whole endurance part talked about in the scriptures. :) Just know that your toddler isn't the only one out there happily disobeying their mama! :) :) Have a good one!