Friday, January 23, 2009

23Jan2009: Day 242: Chris? Water Fill

Today was not too exciting. I took Makenna to nursery and I decided to shop for Chris's birthday during the time she was there. That pretty much took the whole time. When I went to pick her up, she was wearing a different shirt than the one I brought her in and it wasn't the extra one I put in her bag. I asked what happened and her worker apologized and said that Makenna got into some water (colored with paint I guess,) and so they put on this spare shirt and soaked hers. I mentioned that I had an extra outfit in her bag and the worker said she didn't think of it. So I changed her out of that shirt and into the one I had brought. She gave me her wet shirt back and I didn't even notice any different color to it but I washed it when I got home anyways.

The worker did ask me about the mark on her cheek from yesterday's fall. I explained that she tripped and hit it on the wood slats to the stairway. I thought later that maybe she was checking to see if I had hit Makenna. I wouldn't blame her for checking, as I'd probably ask if I saw a mark on a child that seemed minor or major out of curiosity.

Makenna is now trying out her cuteness to get things that she wants. Tonight she kept asking repeatedly for ice cream. I kept telling her we didn't have any. Why do I argue with a two year old I ask myself sometimes. But it's something I seem to do, as if she'll understand if I find different ways to tell her we don't have any stinkin' ice cream. I actually end up saying, "I'm not arguing with you about this," then find myself continuing to argue. I actually said, "Makenna, you want some ice cream?" She said, "okay," I said, "me too." Of course she doesn't get this type of sarcasm but after trying to get through to her that we didn't have any I didn't know what else to do. So I suggested popcorn. That cheered her up.

I also tried to get her mind off of ice cream by offering a cookie. She was okay with this and actually wanted a piece of candy. So I let her have some candy and then when she was done she asked for some more. But the way she asked was what got me. She came up to me and said, "one more" with her little finger pointing. I thought she was so endearing that I gave her two more pieces and said, "that's it." So when she came asking for more, I was again talking to her as if she was an adult saying, "remember that conversation we had when I gave you two pieces instead of the one and said that was it?" I need some adult interaction - some more adult interaction.

Makenna also still yells "Chris" down the stairs as she has for many months now. She doesn't discriminate in that she'll occasionally yell "Chris" asking for me. Anyways, she has this humidifier in her room that we finally bought during her umpteenth cold last year and her and daddy always go to fill it up. After we brush her teeth and get her ready for bed, then she expects to fill up the humidifier. So tonight after we brushed her teeth, she went to the top of the stairs and yells down, "Chris? Water fill!" I just started laughing. I love how she's already giving commands. Now Chris will have two woman bossing him around.

She's also getting very bossy in the sense that if she doesn't want my help she'll push my hands away. Other times she'll insist I have to do things. For example, I might hold a cup or a bowl so that it doesn't tip over and she'll push my hands away. Other times, she insists that I feed her with a fork or carry her up the stairs or from the kitchen to the living room. I comply more than I should to the latter and scold myself for doing so, but then I think there will come a time when I can no longer lift my growing girl and she'll be completely independent of me, or want to be completely independent of me so I might as well take some of these opportunities while they still present themselves.

No comments: