Thursday, January 15, 2009

15Jan2009: Day 234: Not Another Trekkie!

I just came back from seeing a movie at this lady's house (Mamma Mia - again,) and I asked Chris how Makenna was while I was gone. He said great! She climbed up the couch twenty or so times as he kept knocking her down and she'd get back up and do it over and over. Then he suggested to watch some Star Trek show and she said, "okay." He said she then sat for about forty minutes straight, enthralled in the show and she then looked up at him and asked to brush teeth. Which is her cue that she wants to go to bed. So he thinks it's great that she loves Star Trek - whatever version of it they were watching. I guess there could be worse things.

I know how people feel when they come into our group of friends and we start talking about things that they have know idea. Usually it's things that we've done together in the past as friends and they feel left out, I'd assume. Well tonight at the movie, these women were talking about this or that and it wasn't things they've done in the past - it was just stuff - that I had no clue what they were talking about. When they finally asked me if we had the same in the states, I had to admit that I didn't understand what they were saying. They were saying "Chatham chaff" (or something to that effect). Chatham is a town here and I guess the reference was saying that there's areas/people in Chatham that are like what we would call "trailer trash." When they asked if I understood their reference of "trailer trash" I was like, "oh - I know that means." So all the gratuitous nodding that I was doing as if I understood was found out. It like one someone is talking and you just nod as if you understand and they are really asking you a question that's not a Yes or No answer.

Today at the sing/dance playgroup, I decided to ignore Makenna's pleas to pick her up and made her run and dance around on her own two feet (except for one song). She gave up and went along and I think she actually enjoyed it. There's one song they do where you pretend you're on a ladies horse that "trots" and then on a gentleman's horse that "canters" and then a farmer's horse that runs really quick and she actually did it really well.

I also decided to tell her prior to getting out of the car what's expected of her in regards to staying with or near me while in parking lots. She did a lot better. When we went into an "off-license" store to pick up some milk she did run away down an isle and I wasn't happy but she stayed out of trouble so I wasn't too upset. Not until I was dragging her back up the isle and she had her hand stuck out and she knocked over all the hair products (shampoo, hairspray, etc.). Then she kept telling me "haave." I said "yes, you can seem to say it but not do it little one."

Her other favorite saying today was grampa AAAAvery." I had to call my dad and I told her we were calling Grandpa Avery and then she kept saying it for the rest of the day. Even when we got the annoying telemarketing calls from the states today she thought it was grampa AAaaavery.

No comments: