Monday, January 19, 2009

19Jan2009: Day 238: Thank Goodness for Crying

One of things I didn't ever expect to say is that I'm grateful when Makenna gets hurt and she cries. Reason being is that she took quite a tumble from the stairs today and just to hear her cry was better than her being unconscious or bleeding. I happened to be on the phone with Chris when I heard this thumping and I knew it was her. I threw the phone down and she was at the landing. I think she only fell down about five or six steps (from the number of thumps I think I heard). I was so shook up that when Chris was trying to talk me through something (the reason I had called,) he had to tell me to calm down. She was fine and just wanted her blanket. She has a small bump on the back of her head which again, I'm grateful that it's only small. I think she ended up being more stunned and scared than anything. I know, I know, I should've been watching her - so please don't call and berate me for not doing so. She's been doing really well at the stairs, and I guess one can get a bit complacent.

Speaking of stairs, we've been working with Makenna on her numbers as we go up and down the stairs. We count them and she's been doing really well with that - when she wants to. So now Chris has decided that we need to do the ABC's on the way down. I've been singing her the ABC's since she was little and now we're trying to get her to know them a bit better. Since it works well with numbers, in that she's counting numerically in order up to 14 or so (up to nine consistently,) we figured we'd try with the ABC's. Well, one of the things I was trying to remember to post yesterday was that while she was taking a bath (and yes, I watch her during baths,) she all of a sudden said A through F all on her own. I was shocked and elated.

Sometimes you wonder if anything gets through as when you repeatedly tell her "no" not to spit out her drink all over the place and she still does it, what chance does the ABC's have in getting in to some part of her memory. I do feel that she picks up the words that you least expect. Like today, she wanted to watch "Horton Hears a Who." This would be at least the third or fourth time for her watching it since we've rented it. After the movie, they have a small "Ice Age" movie and she wanted to watch that. The remote for the VCR is not the most responsive thing so when I was trying to get it to work yesterday, I was saying things like, "come on, you stupid thing." So today, what do I hear out of my little one's mouth just after she asks for "Ice Age?" Yup...she says, "come on, stupid." Now she probably has heard me say this a few times for different things like when my laptop screen all of a sudden goes black and I have to shut the whole thing down. I'm fairly sure yesterday wasn't the first time she's heard me say it, but it was the first time in regards to the situation with the remote and movie. It's amazing how quick they can be to pick up the wrong things you say or do. It's like having a parrot.

The other thing that has happened in the past, and today was no exception, has to do with Chris. Every once in a while he has this annoying habit of picking up the car keys and then leaving with them to go to work. In all fairness the last time he did this was in October when his parents were here. But it's very frustrating when you have your whole day planned and scheduled and then you have no car to do the things you've planned. I didn't even realize he had taken the keys until he called me from work and asked, "if I had plans for the day." When I said "yes" he then replied, "you don't anymore." I figured he scheduled some maintenance person to come to the house for something or other but when he told me he took the keys accidentally I was upset (to say the least). He was kind enough to find a rental car at work and drive them back to me so that I could carry on with my day. I was only about 10 minutes late to the gym so it just made my workout 10 minutes shorter. The only reason it's so scheduled is because of the nursery. I've scheduled it ahead of time for a certain length of time that I've already paid for and they have to keep their worker/child ratio accurate.

I guess that's another thing I got lax in - making sure Chris doesn't have the car keys before he leaves for work. Then he has the nerve to come home and tell me not to leave them, where he left them, the night before as he just grabs them without thinking. I know he was joking when he told me this so I took it in stride. But now I have two things to be vigilant in again - watching Makenna on the stairs and checking that my husband hasn't absconded with the car keys.

No comments: