Sunday, January 18, 2009

18Jan2009: Day 237: Stinker Pot

I'm either getting old (okay I know I am,) or my memory is getting really bad as I know there are new things that Makenna does or says every day that I think, "I'll have to remember that for the blog" and then it's time to write the blog and I'm like, "what was that darn thing I wanted to tell everyone?"

I know one of them today was that she had a really yucky diaper in the evening. It's funny because we know she's becoming more aware of her bodily functions as she'll isolate herself to go number 2 (to put it in "politically correct terms?") and when you ask her if she's going she'll say, "no, no, no" really sweet and quiet like and then she'll wave and say, "bye, bye." As if to say, "look, do I come in when you're going to ask if you're going and hang around?" "Can you please leave me alone?" Well, in actuality, she does typically come in when I go as I have always hoped this would lead her to be curious and interested in potty training early. Nope. She just comes in and states that "mommy's going potty," and then she gets on playing in the cabinet or trying to wash her hands in the sink. So back to this dirty diaper tonight...When she was finally done, she came up to me and stated that she was a stinker pot (or had a stinky butt, I'm not quite sure).

I've started calling her stinker pot the past couple of weeks but it's more in terms of her doing something devilish then to the smell of her bottom. So I was surprised when she related the term back to me in a somewhat "appropriate" manner. I believe I picked up the term stinker pot from my mother using it when I was younger. I also believe I remember this term due more to my brother's being called it then myself. But I could be wrong.

By the last hour of church, we not only had a tired and cranky Makenna to deal with but Hannah was coming over to join the fun (and eat what I brought for Makenna as Makenna didn't want it,) but we had another girl, about five or six join us too. It seemed that I was the "cool" mommy with all the toys the kids wanted to play with. I think Hannah's mom and I just end up feeding each others kids on Sunday now. What ever she brings, Makenna is willing to eat and Hannah, well, Hannah just eats about anything you put in front of her. I wish Makenna was that willing.

Another thing from yesterday that I wanted to add, at the bottom, was this little video of Makenna (sorry that it's sideways). We were down in the vaults of the abbey and Makenna was enthralled by what was dug out (and then covered with plexiglass) - which was a grave and you could see the skeletal remains. So she kept pointing to it and saying "bones, that's bones." She would tell just about anyone walking through the door and also told the guy who worked there, that their were bones. So I caught a small clip of it. Then for some reason, she thought they were hot and she wasn't supposed to touch them. I figure, well, if she thinks that, then she'll leave it alone.

Also, after I posted last Friday's post, I was frantically looking around for a church book that I know I had down in the living room. I needed it to prepare for the lesson I was teaching today. I couldn't find it and I was also looking everywhere for the tv remote. Couldn't find that either. So I was just about to give up when something told me to look in the laundry hamper we have near the bathroom downstairs. I looked - but it wasn't there. As I was walking away, it came to me - check the garbage. Yup - the garbage. Luckily it was the recyclables. There was my book, the remote, another book of Makenna's and I believe a scarf or a sock (again that short-term memory kicking in; or not kicking in). Chris had seen Makenna throwing something in the recycling garbage earlier that night and he took it out and said something. So when I was looking all over it finally hit me that "there was someplace that Makenna had put something earlier in the night - where was it?" Again, I'm glad she picked that garbage bin instead of the one right next to it - the actual garbage. Since then, I've been making it habit to look in that bin every once in a while to see if anything else has made it in there. - Stinker pot!

No comments: