Wednesday, August 13, 2008

13Aug2008: Day 80: Mamma Mia

I just came back from going to see the movie Mamma Mia with a couple of girls from church. Definitely a chick-flick but great to hear old Abba songs put to a movie. There was this one part that got me a bit teary-eyed where the mother (Meryl Streep) was helping her daughter get ready for her wedding. All of a sudden I flashed to it being Makenna and just can't imagine that day. It made me again really appreciate the opportunity to be here while she's young and spend time with her. Not to mention, it was great to get out and see a move in a theater, I can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater.

We also had a "health visitor" come to the house to get a medical record on Makenna and tell me about services available for myself and for Makenna. Mostly parent/toddler groups but some groups for parents focusing on tantrums, etc. I might look into those. Not that she throws many tantrums but when she has what Chris calls "melt-downs" they can last up to a half-hour.

She also tried to measure and weight Makenna. She was able to get the weight of 30 lbs! But her height was a bit sketchy since Makenna wouldn't stay still. She said around 87 cm (I believe). She did say how she was tall for her age (as all do), and that they can do a developmental check between 2 - 2.5 years of age. She'll be sending me a letter to set that up. She mentioned how Makenna seemed to be a "clever" girl and probably gets into a lot of electronics (as she had my cell phone) and I said, "Oh definitely" and at the same time, I swear to you, Makenna looked at the lady and said "shup" (Like shut up). Even the lady commented how she understood that Makenna was telling her "off" for telling on her. Now "shut up" is not something we say around here so again, I wonder if she's getting it from nursery. She might of not even said that, it just sounded that way.

It's also been extremely windy here the past couple of days. I swear, I almost thought a tornado was coming as things were creaking around the house and I'm not familiar with all the sounds of this house. Our clothes got a triple wash today - once by me and at least twice out on the line. But it would get so windy that it would practically dry in between rain storms. So I just left them out there. Can't hurt - right?

No comments: