Monday, August 18, 2008

18Aug2008: Day 85: Other things about France

Something I didn't put in the post from the past two days was how beautiful the country of France is. I'm talking about the country side that we drove through to get to Paris and back. It had these huge windmills, more modern looking than what they looked like in the past. I guess they're really wind turbines. In looking it up on the net, they are for energy (serving about 8,000 people it said), and saves 8,100 tonnes of CO2 from going into the atmosphere. They are just very amazing to see on the landscape and are very large.

The land itself it just so green and not over-populated looking. Chris said it reminded him of home. This, I think, was even less populated looking though, then even back home. You couldn't see anything but hills of green and lots of hay, which was already cut and rolled. Hay, at least along this route, is a huge commodity.

I wish I had taken French in high school now as it seems like such a "pretty" language but oh well, we were able to get by. We did drive along the road that has all the big name shops like Louis Vuitton, and all the other high end shops. I would like to just go into one of those shops and by something small but even something small is probably way more than I would feel comfortable spending.

The roads in Paris were nuts! It's like a free for all. You go to a round-about (again, like our JC circle) but there's no rules. You just have to pay attention as their may be a stop light all of a sudden somewhere during the circle. A lot of the roads didn't have lines either, so there were no defined lanes. The circle in this one area was so huge that cars could all of a sudden be coming at you from one of the sides. Chris did really well though. I just sat and cringed, kind of like how it was when we first got to England.

There was also very well equipped military looking people. What I mean by that is that they were in fatigues, and carried very large guns. While we were at the Eiffel Tower, they would walk among the crowds of people. That wasn't at all intimidating. On Sunday, we had pulled along the side of a road to get our bearings and a guy dressed in fatigues, minus a gun, walked up to us and told us we couldn't park where we were. What was interesting at the Eiffel Tower, even with these gun-toting people around, was that there were signs posted on the elevators going up the tower, to be aware of pick-pockets.

Today I was nervous that I was a victim of one because I couldn't find my house keys. I looked all over and tried remembering what I had done with them. I thought I had put them in a drawer at the hotel in France, so I actually called the hotel and asked, but they said they didn't find any. Much later in the day, as I was taking care of things, I finally thought to look in this one bag, and there they were - Thank goodness! It's not like if they were stolen, that someone would know where they go to.

No comments: