Monday, August 4, 2008

4Aug2008: Day 71: Bedford

Makenna and I went walking out and about in Bedford while Chris had to work. There's a nice walk along the river Great Ouse. It goes quite a ways and Makenna and I went down one way and over a bridge and up the other. We definitely didn't cover the whole distance. It had many, many swans which was nice to see. They immediately came swimming up to us expecting to be fed but I had forgotten to bring anything. There were also many benches all of which were donated in the name of some loved one who loved the park or that part of the river, etc.

We then walked up High St (the main shopping area of any town is always called High St.), and I found a store that had buy 1 get 1 free for bottled water at 49 pence. That was a true bargain! Then I walked around the store some more when I realized that Makenna had conked out. So I rushed back to the hotel room so I could also take a nap. She woke up shortly after getting back to the room but asked for her bed and went back to sleep. Thank you God for a child who loves to sleep!

After we went back to High St. to find some lunch. There was a place called Nando's and I thought perfect - she'll love some pizza. Well, this Nando's only sells chicken. She did eat a small bit of her chicken, after sitting there staring at it for a half hour. Then we walked around some more so I could find a coat. No luck. We went back to our room and watched a bit of Nemo and then decided it was time to swim ourselves.

They have an indoor pool here that has a small slide into it, with a jacuzzi tub near that. There were also 3 small girls (probably 5 - 10 years of age range), and Makenna enjoyed watching them slide. She actually did it about 5 or 6 times but then wanted me to stay in the jacuzzi as she went swimming with the girls. At least that's how it seemed. She kept pushing me back towards the jacuzzi as she kept trying to make for the pool. I told her that I was her mommy and that she couldn't swim without me. I found another area of the pool that was small and enclosed and perfect for her, so that's where we went. She had fun splashing around and kicking.
I'll have to try and get a picture to show you this pool, it's different.

Then we just went back up to the room to finish watching Nemo, another short nap for Makenna and waited for Chris to come back so that we could get some dinner. Then we ate dinner and he went back to work.

There is a museum around here and hopefully I'll find it tomorrow.

No comments: