Wednesday, August 27, 2008

26Aug2008: Day 93: Spoon and Fork

Well, the time is getting closer, and messier. Makenna is starting to use a spoon and fork more on her own. It makes it very hard for me not to intervene as things start tumbling off the utensils onto the front of her clothes or on the table or elsewhere. She's also starting to ask for her own utensils. If she sees that I have a fork, then she wants one.

What is it about a spoon that kids can't seem to keep it level with their mouth? Milk and cereal end up more on the front of her than in her mouth. I'm trying to teach her this method of scoop (not stab,) at the food so now the word is "soup" instead of scoop.

She's also starting to scream her displeasure with things. So if we don't give in to her whims, demands, etc., screams start coming. Along with the throwing. So here we go head on into the terrible twos. Luckily the screaming only lasts about 10 seconds or so while I re-direct her or tell her that throwing things is going to get her onto the naughty step.

I did feel bad today as I planned on taking her swimming but when the time came to get dressed, I realized I had forgotten her swimmers. So I apologized and we went home and went to the park. She enjoyed the dogs that came up to her as she started squealing with delight, but was all of a sudden shy about petting them. We so need to get a dog at some point.

No comments: