Tuesday, August 5, 2008

5Aug2008: Day 72: Bedford Museum

Makenna woke up with a horrible guttural cough so the pool was definitely out for today. Unfortunately, it was raining all morning too, so most of the day until after her nap, was spent in our hotel room. She kept wanting to go out and "walk, walk". So we did leave the room while it was being cleaned. She also missed her daddy who had to get up early for work this morning and as always, asked for him all day long.

In the afternoon, we walked up High St. again to some other shops (still looking for a coat), and then down to feed the swans. I have some pictures which I'll let you know when I post them. Makenna loves feeding the birds crackers. She gets such a kick out of it. The only problem was she can't get all that close to the edge and her throwing arm isn't the best - yet. So some of the swans had to actually reach up to us and get the crackers. No matter - Makenna still found it funny and the birds were fed.

Then I found the museum which is coincidentally, right next door to our hotel. It was interesting to see some of the history of Bedford, along with history of English life and some of the things they've found around the area in the way of archaeological digs. I noticed information about a castle a few times around the museum so I finally asked a gentleman working at the museum, where the castle was located. He pointed me to a window and said, "see that hill?" "That's what's left." Again, right next to our hotel! He gave told me the story of how it was given to a mercenary to take care of and the guy just "pillaged and plundered" around the area, making King Henry III very mad. So in 1224, the King set out to destroy the castle and was obviously successful as all that remains is the hill. He said that local people took the stones from the castle to build other buildings, such as a church right in the area. He also said that some of High street and surrounding streets, are basically where the keep and bailey were of the castle. I thought that was pretty cool to think of how I've been walking on the built up remains of the inner court of a castle from the 1200's. When we left the museum, I let Makenna out of the stroller and we walked up the hill to get a view. It still has a door underneath the hill that they believed was used for cold food storage.

I also have to say that Makenna was very well behaved during this whole trip out. She was probably ecstatic to get out of the room. Unfortunately, I wish I could say she was just as good during dinner (or even breakfast for that matter). But she had some melt-downs but we got through them. Chris came home to take us out to eat, but had to go right back to work. We're praying very hard that things go better for him the rest of this week so that we can spend more time together in the area as a family.

One more thing I forgot to add yesterday was - why the heck would they put a bidet in a bathroom anymore? It's all I can do to keep Makenna from trying to use it as a sink!

No comments: