Sunday, August 10, 2008

9Aug2008: Day 76: Wawick Castle and St. Mary's

It's me again (Chris). Apparently, Teri and I made this agreement that I would write on the weekends.

We started off the day at Bedford and me taking 4 trips down to the car to drop off all of our stuff. Once that was done we took a quick walk up the road to get some money from the bank and also get some water. They had a nice Farmer's market and such going on in the main church square. This is a nice little town and homey. It's a nice place to visit and do some shopping. I really didn't get much time to do any site seeing, but I will hopefully be up this way again in the near future. My work here was pretty successful (on the last day) and I think we should be back again to do more testing on the bus again.

So, we headed off to Warwick to see the Castle there and also a Church, St. Mary's that I heard was nice as well. I was pouring rain when we arrived and we had to drive around quite a bit to find the church. We just kept looking for towers and finally found it. I got out of the car and went down alone to see if it was worth it. The umbrella I had completely inverted trying to get into the Church because the wind was so bad. We decided to go in and it was a very old Church. There were some tombs that we have some pictures of that were from the 1400's. It again amazed us how we could touch them if we wanted. I resisted, but I won't say if Teri could or not. The Crypt was the oldest portion with a tomb that is where the earls are buried that was sealed in the 1700's and a new tomb setup with these pair of big wood doors which was started to be used in the mid 1700's. It is so strange to be walking around with so many dead people around. Even the floor stones are carved with the names of people you are walking over. It is the same in the Cathedrals...lots of the floor stones are actually grave stone covers and you just walk on them, some are really worn to the point they could not be read.

Next we went to Warwick Castle, which has been turned into a real commercial trap. Apparently, it was bought by the Tussuad's, of the Wax museum fame. I didn't like it very much. Most of the other castles we have gone to are not so fixed up and commercialized with gimmicks and such. An example of what I mean is they had this 1471 Kingmaker attraction, which you went in and it showed you two video's which are about some kid dreaming (totally disjointed) and then after that you walk through several rooms that have wax figures in it. They only thing I liked about it was that it only took us 10minutes. There were some signs that said "40 minute" wait from this point and I was a bit worried. Overall, the attractions were worthless and for the 17.95GBP($36)/person we paid to get in there I was very disappointed. Also, they ripped you off for food and water as well. Leeds Castle was 14GBP/person ($28), but you can come back for a whole year and it was amazing. This was just a place made to separate you from your money.

The Castle itself was nice though, we climbed up a tower and I had to carry Makenna the whole way. We eventually made it a saw a good view of History Warwick. It also had an amazing collection of armor including a child's suit, of which there are only 3 in the world. I saw one other back at the Tower of London. Apparently, the suit was for ceremonial use and it was the armor of the "Noble Imp" who was a child of about 7 years old who was a child of an Earl. He died young and he had a tomb in St. Mary's. Makenna was in a good mood all day and was singing as we climbed the stairs.

We headed back home around 6:30, when the place closed...(pretty early for getting there at 3:00, but oh well). The ride home was uneventful, except for the fact that it took us a couple of tries to find a place to eat. When we finally found a place, we ordered Makenna Pizza and all she wanted was Teri's chicken, which frustrated Teri because she "never guesses right".

No comments: