Friday, August 8, 2008

8Aug2008: Day 75: Woburn Safari Park

Chris convinced me that I had to venture farther out of the main Bedford area, which meant taking the car. Being that I don't know the area I was extremely nervous about the idea but felt that he was right. Thank God for GPS otherwise, we'd go no where but by foot.

So after our morning swim and nap, off we went to Woburn Safari Park. It's only about a half-hour away so it wasn't too far and thank goodness it wasn't on any crazy winding roads. Makenna and I had a blast! I've wanted to take her to see animals since we've been here and this was a good opportunity. Unfortunately, I forgot the camera - both the digital and video! We had to drive through the Safari grounds but I think she saw the lions, rhinoceros, giraffes, and definitely the monkeys as one got on our car. She thought that was pretty funny. I'm not sure if she saw the elephants or zebras, and the one lone tiger that we saw our second trip through. There were many other animals too.

Then we made it to the "foot safari" where she actually got to pet a lemur, a goat, and a wallaby. Before I even said anything, she started saying "nice, nice" because that's what I've always said to her when petting a dog or cat. So she remembered and verbally said it, and actually did a very nice job petting them. She also got to see penguins which she loved, especially when she saw one swimming from underneath. (We've been watching "Happy Feet" lately so she related it to that, plus I kept saying it). We saw squirrel monkeys, which I could've watched all day, they were very animated and playful with each other and really could leap and jump pretty far. Plus she saw peacocks, which she wanted to touch but obviously couldn't. We saw Sea Lions, Hogs, marmosets, a cobra snake which was shedding it's skin and Lynx. I'm not sure if she really saw anything of those but the Sea Lions and Hogs. The Hogs were of the kind that sniff out truffles.

There was an "ark" which had a big inflatable play area but it was full of big kids so I steered away from that and she wasn't too happy. But then I found a area for kids 5 and under which was made up of three inflatable bounce houses. She had to go in the area herself and I was nervous about that, but she actually did very well. I was so proud and impressed. She climbed up the inflatable step into two of the bounce houses. She kept trying to go up the slide of one of them but couldn't do it, obviously. But the one bounce house, she would get into and I couldn't really see her and that made me nervous as anything but she did very well and I could catch glimpses of her and she got in and out on her own. I don't think I would've every gotten her out of there if it wasn't for her remembering I said we could get ice cream. But right after ice cream she wanted to go back to the bounce houses. But by that time it was getting late and I wanted to go through the safari park one last time.

On our way out, I had totally forgotten about the Woburn Abbey House and it was already closed, but I think I would've had to pay extra for that from looking at the brochure. Plus, Makenna may have not behaved as well there, and I really enjoyed seeing something that she would be enthralled with such as this. Hopefully we'll get another chance to go some place like this again before we go, like the London Zoo.

No comments: