Sunday, November 23, 2008

23Nov2008: Day 181: Let it Snow

Woke up to some snow today! Not much as you can see, but it's not too common to see snow here. They've been getting some up in Scotland now for a few weeks on and off, but we are are much further to the Southeast. It was all gone by 10:30 a.m. as it turned to rain.

We had Stake conference at church today. That meant we went earlier (from 10am - noon). It was the most people I've seen at church here at one time. I didn't know but we're actually called the Canterbury stake. I was hoping that they would've combined some of the small wards that make up the area I'm in, but they just released and called new stake leaders. Makenna had a tough day being that it was me and her as Chris went to his church. I did have to take her out a few times for being obstinate. She spilled cereal, which I told her not to, then she started throwing it and then when I warned her not to, she picked up more, looked at me, and threw it. So I took her into another room and made her sit by herself on the floor. She didn't like this and proceeded to really bang her head on the carpeted floor. So now she has a red rug burn on her head that's a little bruised too. Ahh, children, the joys. The problem, besides being sick, is that she was very tired.

I thought I'd include a couple more pictures from yesterday. One thing that I really liked about yesterday at the palace house, was the smell. They had a fire going and mixed with the slight mustiness, reminded me of the cottage we have back in the states. It made me think of mornings that my grandparents would have the fire going at the cottage to warm up the place.
This picture is of the dining room in the palace house. What's interesting about this table is that it has knife marks in it from where the servents cut the bread on the table. It also made out of one elm tree. The pewter plates are from the 18th century and were used a lot as they retained the heat and were unbreakable. They also had a lot of very old piano's. I believe from the 18th century. Surprisingly, I only had to stop Makenna once from touching one.

Here's a couple of pictures from the "James Bond Experience." It was only a small, short room with mostly cars, but also a few gadgets and other things from the different movies. This first white car was the original "Lotus Submarine Car" used in the 1977 Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me". The Green car is the original Jaguary XKR Roadster used in the 2002 Bond movie, "Die Another Day" Actually, it's one of eight cars used to film a scene on ice. I liked the mounted Gatling gun on the back.

I'm not a huge car fanatic. I don't mind looking at cars, but it's not something I'd seek out to go see. But since we had time, we went into the National Car Museum. I did actually find it interesting. Just to read and see about these cars. Take for instance this first car (the green one on the left), called "Knight" built in 1895. It's believed to be the first British built petrol car to be run on public roads. What's interesting is that was only allowed to go up to 4 mph, even though it's max speed was 10 mph. What's really funny was that because a lot of people were opposed to cars when they first started coming out, when someone was driving this car, they had to have someone walking in front with a red flag. Like warning people that there was a car being driven behind him. I guess if it was me, that person better be walking faster than 4mph! (for that matter, walking faster than 10mph). This other car to the right actually has a bike seat in the back and one in the front. It's an 1896 Pennington Autocar. It supposedly can seat up to four, although I don't know how, or how safely. It supposedly carried up to nine people on it. This picture that looks like an airplane, but is actually a car, was made by the French and is called the 1922 Leyat. There was also a 1901 electric car that we have a picture of. When I was talking to my brother Jared yesterday, and was telling him about this electric car, he said how it's amazing that even back in the early 1900's they were building electric cars and to this day, they haven't perfected them.

No comments: