Friday, November 7, 2008

7Nov2008: Day 165: Olmsted Manor & Colchester Castle/Museum

We found it! I can't explain how incredibly lucky we were to find it and how excited I was to actually see something that belonged in my family history back in 1242! It fell out of the Olmstead hands (although it was owned by someone by the name of Olmestede), but eventually bought back by a John Holmested or Olmested in 1526. I'm not sure how these two are related, yet, but a James Olmsted emigrated to New England in 1632. I don't think, as far as I know, that James Olmsted ever lived at Olmsted Manor.


There's a book called "Olmsted Family in America" and that's where I got the information above. I have to say I wouldn't have known any of this unless it was for this relative I contacted through our new family history website.

We set off and I drove to the town of Helion-Bumpsted. That's where the book above said that the manor was located. I figured it would be a long shot but I took a picture of the manor from the book that I had printed out (it was just a sketch) and when we got to the small town, I stopped at a pub. I went in and asked if they happened to ever hear of it. The bartender, a woman, said yes that she had and she knew right where it was. I couldn't believe my luck! She was trying to explain to me where it was and there was a patron at the bar who said he was going to drive past the area that it was located after he had another pint. I figured it was best to just try and get directions so I had Chris bring Makenna in along with our GPS. The guy sketched out directions and we were able to see it on the GPS. In the meantime, the bartender called the owner of the house (manor) and got the post code. (Post codes are like our zip codes but it's pretty much encompasses about a street of houses instead of a big area like it does where we live).

So off we went down these really windy roads that only is one car width. We found this sign and knew we were on the right track. We kept going and at the end of this bumpy, muddy road, we found it. It looks different from the sketch, but not by too much. I knocked on the door and asked the owner if we had the right place, which he said we did. I asked if he minded if we walked around and took some pictures, and he was very kind and said that was fine. I asked him if he happened to be related to the Olmstead line at all and he said no. He said that is family acquired the hall in 1919 and he bought it in 1987 from his grandfather. I would've liked to have gone inside but I didn't ask, and he didn't offer. I considered myself fortunate to find the place and left it at that.

So we walked around it about three times or so taking pictures and video, and comparing it to the sketch from the book. We saw the moat which still runs around the back-side of the house. According to the book, parts of it were filled in to create the roads leading to it. Makenna enjoyed it because we had brought her wellies and she was able to stomp freely in the puddles.

After, we took off to find Colchester Castle. We were going to scrap that idea and go to another castle in the area but it was closed (as most are at this time of year). So we decided to continue on to Colchester Castle as I knew that was open as it was turned into a museum. We got there in the very busy city of Colchester and got to the museum. We only had about an hour before they closed, but we figured that would be enough time and about the length of time Makenna would be agreeable to walking around. It was only took us about an hour anyways, so it worked out well.

Colchester castle itself was a Norman castle ordered to be built by William the Conqueror. It was built on the foundations of a Roman temple. In 1215 the castle was overtaken by King John and ceased to be a royal castle after the Magna Carta. It then became a prison most noted to imprison suspected witches. It eventually became the museum it is now. They did have some history of Colchester along with things they found in different archaeological digs in different areas around Colchester and other areas of England. They talked a lot about the Roman way of life as many of the materials used to build the castle were from Roman times. They also had a lot of Roman mosaics.
It wasn't anything spectacular but I was glad to fit it in to our day. We then left and went to Costco's on the way home and got home in time to see neighbors setting off fireworks which Makenna thoroughly enjoyed. We hope to get out to another place tomorrow along with possibly going somewhere to see fireworks as tomorrow is a big night to see them in different parts of the country.

No comments: