Monday, November 3, 2008

3Nov2008: Day 161: Happy Birthday Katie

Makenna's cousin Katie turns one today. We wish we could have been there to celebrate and see how much she's grown. So we're sending her this Happy Birthday wish in the picture.


Speaking of birthdays, Makenna got a couple of more gifts today. One was from her Aunt who is Great...Lori. I figured she'd like that better than reading that she's her Great Aunt. Another was from my mom who sent her some clothes, like this coat in the picture. Makenna absolutely loves the coat. I gave her a choice of coats to wear and she picked this one both times that we went out today. In fact, she didn't want me to take it off when we got to the nursery at the gym.

Today was a perfect day to wear her boots as it was rainy and foggy. Even at 3 pm, it was hard to see out the windows. It gave her an opportunity to stomp in puddles. She kept saying, "stomp, stomp" as she did so in the puddles.

She also came up with a couple of new words today. The first one was squishy. At the gym, they have this little play area outside of the nursery that she likes to go to when I pick her up. So she wanted to bounce on these rubber step-like things they have. I told her that they don't really bounce because they're squishy. She laughed quite a bit at the word and then started saying it, but it comes out sounding more like "sushi." Then tonight, when I was putting her to bed, I said the word "ridiculous" and she laughed and laughed. She repeated it and it sounded like "dises" (imagine dishes without the "h"). She kept saying it over and over. At least we got off the Fi Dough. Although, she did say it today, just about 50 times instead of a thousand.

She also helped me to clean this morning. She saw me mopping the kitchen floor and immediately came over and held onto the mop. I told her to push it and she did. She moved it back and forth, a few times on her own even. She then proceeded to help in her own way by getting things out all over the floors that I needed to vacuum.

The other thing she did today was feed herself yogurt. I have been quite reluctant to let her do this because usually I'm feeding it to her in the carpeted living room near the new couches. But today she wanted to sit in the kitchen chairs which are pretty high up and I gave her a spoon and let her finish one I had started with her in the living room. Then later tonight she wanted another one and Chris was amazed how much she did all on her own. She did make a bit more of a mess tonight as she had the whole thing of yogurt compared to the little bit she had in this mornings cup, but she still did pretty well. Chris is already thinking about how it won't be too long before she won't need us.

No comments: