Tuesday, March 17, 2009

17Mar2009: Day 295: Ele-Date-Or

It started out as a nice day but in the afternoon turned cold quite quickly. It also got very foggy. When we were coming over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge, you couldn’t see the top of the bridge as it was lost in the fog and that was only at 5pm.

Makenna had a hard day. She whined and cried for daddy in the morning who wasn’t home. Then during lunch she quit eating half-way through and said “sleepy bunny” which is her way of telling me she wants to lie down and take a nap. I cleaned up and then brought her into the living room and she pretty much passed out. I was hoping to leave the house about 2ish to go pick up a cake I ordered at Costco’s and it takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour to get there depending on traffic. We left about 3pm as that’s when I could coax her off my lap enough to get her coat on and go. She promptly fell back asleep on the trip down. When we got to Costco’s she was excited to pick up a cake. She kept saying, “cake, flowers, cake.” The cake had flowers on it. I put it on the floor in the back and she could see it all the way home, so the whole cake, flowers conversation continued.

While in Costco’s I took the opportunity to look around a bit. I looked at the book isle and saw this cute Dora the Explorer book that had a mini-piano like thing to it. I showed Makenna and she promptly took it and said, “Put it in the back,” as she tried putting it in the back of the cart. I was like, “No, no, we’re not getting the book,” although I was tempted. I then saw these cute dresses for her and showed her and again she took it, said, “Put it in the back,” as she tried putting it in the cart. I did decide to agree with her on this. I just couldn’t decide on the purple or green dress. I opted for purple as the green one seemed to wash her out color wise I thought.

I also decided to stop at TK Maxx (like our TJ Maxx) and also ASDA’s clothing store which is called “George” – have no idea why. Anyways, I was again hoping to find a bathing suit – no luck. This body is not made for tankini’s or bikinis and that’s what most of them seem to offer. I was so disappointed. Makenna enjoyed the escalator in ASDA’s and really liked the “Ele-date-or” (elevator) in TK Maxx. She kept asking to go on the Ele-date-or. I was able to buy her some stockings and me some reasonably priced sunglasses – over 12 pounds but better than the 60 plus pounds that the other sunglasses were.

Tonight we had the Birthday party for the Relief Society (thus the cake,) at the church for the women. It went rather well. We actually had a good turnout compared to most Enrichment Nights. What was even more surprising is that I handed out assignments a couple of weeks ago to five people. Two of which I didn’t really expect to fulfill them. One more than the other though. The one, who happens to be the Young Woman’s President at church, has voiced her dislike of Relief Society and things associated with it. This is quite disheartening as she’s in a position that can influence the young women under her and to have her be against this great “club” in a sense, is not a good thing. We decided to give her one of the assignments. I was absolutely shocked to see her come in and do a great presentation. She had really put in a lot of work and thought and it was very moving and touching. It just showed me that you can’t always listen to the hype that some people say, and also, if you give people assignments, that they may feel a sense of purpose and obligation and it’s a way to get them involved. Maybe she just wanted someone to reach out and notice her – who knows, but I know I felt this night went great. So much so, that we didn’t even get through all we had planned.

As for Makenna, who I had to take with me, she was well behaved and really wanted that cake. She finally got a piece, and she had the tiniest amount. I wish I had her reserve, instead of her piece along with mine. Oh, we also had the shloer (pronounced sh-lur) which is basically sparkling juice. There were different flavors and it wasn’t bad. I kind of like it better than the sparkling grape juice I’ve tried in the states as it wasn’t as carbonated. And as you can see, I got the correct spelling for it too.

No comments: