Tuesday, March 31, 2009

31Mar2009: Day 309: That Can't Be Good

Something new happened at the gym, and not in a good way. I was on the alpine climber and I happened to notice this girl come out of her class and bend over outside the doorway. I peered over and saw she was talking to a friend who must have come out earlier and who seemed to be trying to catch her breath. Then I saw this friend go over and get a cool compress and the next thing I knew, the girl on the floor just keeled over. They got some of the gym staff to come over. An ambulance was eventually called and they took her out on a stretcher.

The stretcher was weird. It wasn’t a normal flat stretcher, but a chair and they had wrapped her up in a big blanket of sorts, which didn’t make sense since she was probably over-heated to begin with but I’m not a paramedic. The way she was strapped in reminded me of those movies where you see a person in a mental hospital who’s belted in to an upright chair—very strange. You could see people trying not to look but not helping themselves—kind of like rubber-neckers at a car wreck scene. Since she passed out in front the classroom where she had been taking a class, when the class was done, people were just stepping over her to leave. I think they had moved her over a bit so people weren’t literally stepping over her, but still.

I did walk down to pick up Makenna from nursery. It wasn’t as nice a day as yesterday but it was still nice enough out. We stopped at the park and every time I asked her if she wanted to leave to eat lunch she’d say, “No,” and then continued playing.

After we did make it home and had lunch, we had to run out to Enterprise to have them look at the car. Last Friday when I was taking Jake to Heathrow, a rock had hit the windshield and it cracked a bit. Every day I go out, it gets a bit longer. They needed to make a damage report and then they are supposed to have someone contact me about replacing the windshield.
Well, no new niece yet. My sister-in-law called me about an hour ago to say that they didn’t get her into the hospital until after 2pm so she was now starting the drugs. She wondered what time they could call me tomorrow to let me know how it all went. So hopefully tomorrow, I’ll be able to mention the new arrival.

No comments: