Wednesday, March 25, 2009

25Mar2009: Day 303: How To Merge

Jake initially wanted to go to Stonehenge but Chris convinced him last night that seeing a bunch of rocks over two hours away was not worth the trip. Jake agreed and decided that he would like to go to Dover Castle and also see the white cliffs, and then to Canterbury Cathedral.

So off we went and I was kind of glad that we were going here as it’s less than an hour away and I didn’t sleep well last night due to still having a cold. Just a side note…when am I not complaining about being sick? It seems like I get a week reprieve a month of not being sick and then the rest of the time I’m just complaining and whining. Okay now that’s off my congested chest and stuffed-up head.

I enjoyed this second trip to Dover Castle because I was able to see some parts that I was not able to see before. Namely, St. Mary’s Church and some of the battlement walks. We also went under the war time tunnels again. Makenna was really well behaved here compared to last time so I was able to hear much more of the explanation. She also found all the stairs around the castle grounds to her enjoyment. Unfortunately, the main keep of the castle was closed but we could still go on the grounds. The shop on the keep grounds had samples of different jellies and Jake and I sampled them. Some were pretty good and others were more like furniture polish.

This castle is up on a hill, as most of them are, and there are hills all over the grounds to get to different parts. Makenna found this one “ramp” of stone path especially fun as it put her into a tunnel and out of mommy and Jake’s view. Then when we went after her she loved running down it into our arms. You could hear her say, “ready, steady, go,” and then she’d run down.

We made it back to the car just before a major rainstorm poured down upon us and headed towards Canterbury. We got to the cathedral and Makenna again was off on her step-quest. I was surprised that she had any energy as she barely had a nap between the two places. Although, she was less inclined to listen to me so I had to put her in the pushcart at one point. We only spent about an hour here and it was a good thing as we were headed back to the car, the skies opened up again and started raining.

We headed home and it took a lot longer than it should have. Part of it was that we left during rush hour to get home but the biggest problem was that people just don’t know how to merge here. It was a long twenty minute crawl as two lanes had to go down to one just before a round-about. I just could not understand why people could not just merge and get on with it. In fact, one truck in the right lane was just moving very slowly and had no cars in front of it whatsoever. I was in the left lane (the lane that needed to be merged into,) and I could not figure out why this truck was moving so darn slow. He had a line of cars behind him who didn’t know they had to merge and he was holding everything up. It’s as if these people need lessons on proper merging. All these driving schools here need to not only focus on proper driving on the streets but take them and have them merge.

No comments: