Sunday, March 8, 2009

8Mar2009: Day 286: Makenna To The Rescue

I’ve written in the past how Makenna is a tactile child. She loves this Book of Mormon I have for kids that you can remove pieces from and she loves it when, mostly daddy, rubs it along the skin of her arms, but also enjoys it on her face, back, or legs. We usually bring it to church with us on Sundays as it keeps her calm most of the time. Today, Makenna decided to share that feeling with Hannah. She took a piece from the book and rubbed it along Hannah’s arm. Hannah was enamored. It was very cute. I then took over for Makenna and put Hannah in a trance of sorts.

Another saying that has come out quite a bit this past week is “I can’t do it.” Although sometimes it seems as if she’s saying “I can do it.” When we were at the park on Friday, she kept saying it as she was trying to get up the stairs and when she reached the top I made sure she was saying, “I can do it.”

One thing about yesterday that Chris did not know that happened was how Makenna saved me from quite an embarrassment. I took her to the bathrooms for a diaper change and we went into the handicapped bathrooms as that’s where they had the diaper changing table. I locked the door and proceeded to change her. When we were done, I couldn’t get the door to unlock! I turned it back and forth, back and forth, pushing and pushing and nothing was working. I kicked it even. I took out my cell phone and started to call Chris when Makenna went up to the door and did who knows what and opened it. I quickly hung up the phone. I thought Chris was going to have to get someone to break us out. Who knew all it was going to take was a child to free me from a red face moment.

I guess I’ll fill in a bit more about Scotney Castle. When we got there we could go through the house which is up on higher ground than the castle. The manor house, like Chris said, didn’t have much information to it. The castle which was a bit of a walk down a pathway was very intriguing. I found it surprising that they didn’t really have anything holding anyone back from going into the moat in some places. I guess the castle was also a fortified manor house built in the 12th century. It passed through different owners who made changes or added to it until it was in the hands of Edward Hussey. He was the last one to live in it and his son, also named Edward, built the newer house up on the hill. It was this last Edward’s grandson who, when he died in 1970, (not 1999 like Chris posted yesterday,) passed along the estate to the people of National Trust who run the property today.

I guess since the castle was more of a manor house, there really isn’t too much other history to it to be known. I thought it was very pretty and probably really pretty in the spring and summer when more flowers are out. It also had this boat house right on the moat, which I’ve never seen before. Makenna was of course taken by the water. She really wanted to be near it so we had to be very diligent and make sure she didn’t go running into it. That would’ve made it a real fun trip!

No comments: