Monday, March 23, 2009

23Mar2009: Day 301: Royal Airforce Museum (RAF)

We actually started out at Leeds Castle. This was my third time going and second time in the castle itself. I enjoy going as it’s a nice walk through lovely grounds and I brought crackers for Makenna to feed all the various birds with. The peacocks were actually getting quite forceful and coming right up to Makenna to get the crackers.

I was also able to take pictures inside the castle this time. I’m not sure why I wasn’t before, but all I could think of was that maybe they don’t allow it on weekends. Or maybe because they had a tour bus of kids from I think either France or Germany (it sounded more German when I heard them speak,) that they allowed it. I didn’t take too many pictures inside because at the time, I couldn’t remember if I had pictures from before or not.

Makenna was fairly well behaved but she wanted to constantly feed the birds, or go up steps to wherever. She did get asked to get off a couch that she shouldn’t have been on. That was my fault as I was reading about the room and had my back to her. Then I heard an attendant asking her to get off the couch. He was nice about it and said he understood how little children don’t know any better.

We went back to the car and ate a quick lunch and off we went to RAF. It was opened in 1972 and has over 100 aircraft from around the world including some very early aircraft designs. They had this wall of year by year starting with the year of Kittyhawk up to 2002. Each year had a little tid-bit about something major regarding flight for that year along with some other interesting things that happened that year. There were lots of steps here so Makenna had a grand ‘ole time.

Not only did Jake get to see how Makenna loves steps, but also saw her love for water. While at RAF, there was this display that was set up as if a French machine shop had been bombed and had broken a water pipe. Makenna walked by it and said, “Beautiful water.” It was as if she was seeing a sunset with the way it came out.

What was nice about this place was that there were hands on things for kids to do. Plus, she could sit in the mini-plane or helicopter. I had a hard time getting her out of it. I had to tell her that there was another ride that she could go on to get her to move on. There were also other types of things for her to do and she liked the exhibit where she could push a button and a little thing would raise up to take a “cargo” load to the plane above. When it was finally time to go, we had to pick her up and drag her out.

We headed home but it was during rush-hour traffic and the RAF is right outside of London, so it took us a bit longer to get home. When we did finally make it back into town, I took Jake to the grocery store so he could experience the shopping carts that I complain about. He thought it was pretty neat at first until he realized that it was hard to just push them straight on. Plus, as you add more things to the cart, the harder they get to maneuver. Kind of like a two year old.

No comments: