Monday, March 9, 2009

9Mar2009: Day 287: The Eyes Say It All

Tonight, Makenna got into a bit of trouble as daddy was taking a “cat nap” (as usual I might add,) and she tried to get his attention in the wrong way. She threw a toy at him and hit him the head. He woke up shocked and a bit hurt and gave her a stern warning about what she had done. She looked so heart-broken. Her eyes were downcast, her lip was in an upside down “U”and then she broke down crying. Then in a little bit after we got over that episode, she was complaining about wanting to see something and Chris started saying “Wallace & Gromitt” as Makenna had been yelling that at him earlier. Her facial expression was priceless. Her eyes were rolling about and looking side to side as if to say, “What is wrong with this guy?” Plus she added a scowl to emphasize her displeasure with him. I see this as a start of many more years of rolling her eyes at us. I again was wishing I had the camera to film it. It was absolutely hilarious. Chris and I were laughing and laughing.

Other than me trying to get over another stupid sinus infection yet again, my weekly Monday grocery shopping trip was a bit of a downer. First, I’ve written about these carts over here and how they’re very unwieldy. Now, put that with a bum wheel like you get in the states on the carts and you come out with a strong right bicep. I had to literally keep the cart at an angle off my body as to move it forward in the store. I looked as if I was about to go down any isle at any moment.

Then the store had the gall to move things around and/or no longer carry certain things that I came to be familiar with. It’s bad enough that a lot of things I’m used to from the states aren’t here to begin with but then to become comfortable with certain things and have them no longer available, or at least on this shopping trip (I hope they return,) was short of devastating. I know that’s a strong word but sometimes it’s the little things that can keep you sane in an unfamiliar country. Now you’re going to laugh even more when I tell you what three things I’m speaking of.

The first, and mind you, the last three or four trips, I haven’t seen these certain “biscuits” (cookies) that I like. They have a dark chocolate top and base of oats and other stuff to it. They have the regular milk chocolate ones and there are other brands that have the dark chocolate which I’ve resorted to buy. So not all is lost but it’s like changing from Oreos to Hydrox. You’ll live with Hydrox but are always looking for Oreos.

The next thing is seasoned Rice vinegar. My aunt Lori turned me onto this type of vinegar to make a good oil and vinegar salad dressing. When I went down the isle today, all the vinegars were gone! I had to search back and forth and found that they moved the vinegars next to the oil but besides cider vinegar, all they had was balsamic. I was tempted to pay for over-priced balsamic but I didn’t think I’d be as happy. So I resigned myself to the regular salad dressings.

That’s where my third disappointment came in. I have come to find that the salad dressings here are just, well, awful! Even one’s that you are familiar with like Thousand Island, or Ranch, or Italian. I guess because they tastes over here are different they make them different? I’ve heard of McDonalds changing their recipes in different countries so all I can think is that the same is here with the salad dressings. I did find one that I actually like and guess what? Yup, as Makenna would say, it’s no longer there. I don’t think they were out of stock as the company makes different flavors and there were no dressings from this company whatsoever.

If I had my way, I’d go up to the front counter of the store tell them my gripes of what they’ve now done to my otherwise “comfortable” lifestyle by moving and eliminating foods that I’ve come to expect. I would then let Makenna look at them with her rolling eyes and scowling face to prove my point.

No comments: