Friday, March 6, 2009

6Mar2009: Day 284: Schlur?

This past Tuesday I met with another girl from the church (Estelle) to start planning our next Enrichment night for the women of the church. It’s the yearly party for the organization of the Relief Society that was created for the women of the church. When we were talking about what kind of refreshments to have she suggested we have schlur (I have no idea if I’m spelling this right). I was like what the heck is that? I thought maybe it was our version of fruit punch with Hi-C juice and sherbet. Nope, she told me that it was like non alcoholic fruity champagne. Like fizzy grape juice or fizzy apple juice. (Note to my friend Julie – you could be making a killing with your Co2 and juice drinks here). She decided that she would pick it up as it’s found in the alcohol aisles (yes I said aisles as there’s about three of them to go through). I would be walking up and down these aisles endlessly if I had to pick it up.

She asked if I could go to Costco and pick up a chocolate cake with gateau again I have no idea what that is, and I unfortunately didn’t ask her. I assume it’s some kind of cream custard filling. When I asked Madonna what it was she said she had no idea. I guess I could Google it and find out. I figured I’d just ask when I got to Costco’s.

I decided to walk to pick up Makenna from nursery as it was a decent day. I think it was in the 40s somewhere. I didn’t check. I misjudged the time it takes to get there by walking. I figured 15 minutes – it was more like 20 and so I was the last one there to pick up Makenna. We stopped at the park on the way back for about 30-45 minutes. She loves climbing the steps and going down the slide. She also found a fireman pole, for lack of a better explanation. So she would climb up the steps and go over to where the pole was and wait for me as it too far for her to reach on her own. I showed her how to hang onto it with both hands. I figured we’d try the feet another day. She did really well though with what I showed her.

As for potty training, well, I guess she peed again. I walked out and when I came back in I heard a slight noise and asked if she went. She said “yup” and said, “pee pee on the pawty.” So I did my little dance and let her put up two stickers after flushing and washing hands. Later in the evening, as we were sitting on the couch, she said, “oh, you need to go pee pee?” So I asked her and she said “yup.” We went to the potty but no luck. I still praised her for telling me.

I love her English accent “yup.” If I could only get her to perform all of these different things for me on the camera so you could all see how cute it is to hear. It will be unfortunate to have her lose some of these words that she has an accent on when we come back. It will be really interesting to see if she picks up the English version of our “Hi, How are you?” Here, they say, “you alright?” No hello, just, “you alright?” It’s very strange as I don’t know if I should say, “fine, you?” Or “you alright?” back. I guess other people say it back. I just end up saying “yup,” with my NY accent.

No comments: