Wednesday, March 18, 2009

18Mar2009: Day 296: It's Not A Joke

Oh where to start. I actually had to wake Makenna up at 8:15am. That’s twice this week she’s slept past 8am. Usually if I put her to bed past 9:30 she ends up waking up even earlier so today was a shock. It was most likely due to her being sick. She sounded absolutely horrible. I had a feeling this was going to be the case so I called the gym and cancelled the nursery and called the doctor and made an appointment.

He did his usual five minute exam of checking her chest, checking her ears and temperature (and finding she had a slight one). Then writing a prescription for antibiotics and said his usual, “don’t fill it.” So why the heck give it to me? It makes no sense! I guess it’s “don’t fill it until you absolutely can’t stand the suffering your child is going through anymore.” Because he was running behind in his appointments I didn’t actually have time to fill the prescription. I was expecting the plumbers to come fix the sink so I had to hurry home.

They of course didn’t show up until an hour and a half after they were scheduled. This meant we missed afternoon playgroup which I was planning on skipping anyways since she was sick. All morning and afternoon as I was trying to clean, all I heard was “play with kids!” I felt bad as it was a really nice day and to have her stuck inside most of the day had to be really hard – it was really hard. As I was cleaning with the vacuum, she kept saying, “don’t be scared.” It was cute as she was mimicking me telling her that in the past. She kept following me around the house trying to help me clean in her own way or every time I stopped the vacuum I heard, “don’t be scared.”

Tonight I did have to take her out with me to do visiting teaching, where we visit a few women of the church. Makenna was absolutely grateful to get out of the house and was pretty well behaved. She was a bit nosy at the houses, trying to have a look around, but when she was ready to go, she let us know. She was a good time keeper. The first house she started trying to open the door and kept saying, “outside.” The second house she started saying, “bye, bye.” The last house, as it was getting late, she started to lie down on the floor.

She was very cordial and did say “bye bye” to everyone and waved. The lady I went visiting with thought Makenna was a parrot. She kept mimicking everything that was said. One thing that Makenna did to frustrate me but make me laugh at the same time was at one house when we left, she started to run down the sidewalk. I was yelling “stop, Makenna stop.” She then replied, “This is not a joke.” Again, something I typically say to her after grabbing her from running into the road. I had to stop myself from laughing. She said it quite a few times and once I composed myself, I said, “Right it’s not a joke.”

No comments: