Thursday, March 19, 2009

19Mar2009: Day 297: American Idol vs. X-Factor

Another day of being inside – mostly. She did sleep in again until 8:15 and she woke up on her own. I don’t know whether to be happy or nervous about this. I did take Makenna out to get the prescription filled. Thank goodness she actually willingly takes the medicine now. I did decide to take her to her new swim class on Thursday afternoons. I debated on and off all day whether to or not and in the end, I figured we might not go next Thursday so I’d hate to have her miss two weeks in a row and she seemed in good enough spirits to go.

It was kind of nice because there’s only two in the class so the instructor could really focus on Makenna and the other little boy. She had them doing a bit of everything she’s done the past three weeks but also had them swim a bit on her own towards me allowing her to go under a bit as she did. I was just glad that she was in a decent enough mood as I’m sure she was tired from being sick and past her nap time.

I had forgotten to mention something that happened a couple of weeks ago. It was one of the times I had left her in the car to “drive” and all of a sudden I heard the music blaring out of the car. She had turned it on and turned it all the way up. Nothing like killing your ear drums when you’re young. I immediately ran out and turned it down. I could see that she was a bit shocked but she thought it was funnier to see my expression and comments to her than what she had done. The reason I remembered this was because today in the locker room as I was getting ready, she accidentally turned on the hairdryer and she was frightened. She ran over to me with this scared look and I told her it was alright. I just went back over and turned it off. Also, as I was getting her dressed, she recited the whole alphabet song. All the letters weren’t discernable and the “now we’ve sung ….” wasn’t too clear, but I was really impressed that she did it all on her own.

What you see on Tuesday & Wednesday for American Idol, we get to see on Thursday and Friday. What’s interesting is how they’ve now “added” a few things. It’s getting really similar to the X-Factor (used to be Pop Idol) over here. American Idol judges now walk out on the stage – they do that in X-Factor. The “new” voting by the judges after a sing-off – just like X-Factor. Having four judges – just like X-Factor.

The difference with X-Factor is that any age over, I believe, 15 can try out. Then after they whittle the contestants down, they break them into groups. So for X-Factor the groups were “boys,” “girls,” “groups,” and “over 35s.” Then one group was under one judge. So it was as if the judges were also being voted on due to their singers. The two singers with the lowest votes have a sing-off and the judges actually choose then who they want to send home. If it happens to be a tie, then the one that got the actual lowest votes from the public goes off. The other thing the X-Factor does is choreograph a whole routine for the song, so the singer has to sing and dance, usually with other people dancing around them. Thus they then have the “X-Factor.”

I guess why I find this all interesting is that it seems Simon Cowell really has some pull in trying to get his way with American Idol to be more like X-Factor. Plus, like Ryan Seacrest said last week, when the judges walked out, how it was Simon’s idea so that they, the judges, can get more accolades. As we know, it’s all about Simon. That’s probably why we also get to see the show here so soon after it shows in the U.S. – Simon.

No comments: