Saturday, July 26, 2008

25Jul2008: Day 61: London Temple

This is Chris, I didn't get home early today of course, so nothing great to discuss today. Teri did get the opportunity to go to her temple at night and I'll let her discuss that.

It seems Makenna is coming down with another cold. She really never got sick when she was a baby, so I don't think she had built up resistance to colds. So, she has to build it up now I guess.

I've finally decided that I'm not going to come home this week, too much to do here and not enough time to get it done, so I'm staying. I think in about a month I should be coming home for a week probably anyway.

I think we will try to get down to Canterbury tomorrow and see if I can't find Matt. I'm sure it will be crowded so I need to check if the Cathedral is open or not to the general public. If it is, we'll go take a look at that. It is only 40 minutes away, so not too far.

Teri - London temple was interesting. It doesn't have a statue of Moroni (yet) on the top. I guess it wasn't allowed when it was first built. I guess they are now getting a permit and will be getting one soon. The only other thing that was really different from other temples is that it had a "chapel" area to sit in before going into a session. They had lots of bibles for people to sit and read while waiting. So everyone sits in this area and then when it's time for a session, then they take you up about four flights of stairs to a room.

A couple named Ian and Sally took me up (thank you very much!) - and Ian told me a lot about the different "rules of the road". He told me that all roads that come out of London that are straight are Roman roads. Obviously they're updated and modern but he said that Romans didn't put curves in their roads. We were also talking about speed traps and how they are done in the states compared to here. I didn't really think they had speed traps here, just the cameras that will take pictures of you going fast and send you a ticket, but I guess they do in certain spots. Ian said that the police will usually pair up with other agencies such as the immigration authority, the benefits people and the people that inspect cars to be road worthy. So he said that if you happen to be caught speeding and you're an illegal alien that's collecting benefits from the UK illegally and your car is not road-worthy, than you up for a really bad day. I thought that was pretty funny.

No comments: