Monday, July 28, 2008

28Jul2008: Day 64: 20 Year Reunion

I called back home and talked to a friend who reminded me that our 20 year school reunion is coming up (next weekend I guess). How scary - to really admit that you've been out of high school 20 years! I realized in talking with her, that she's the only one I still talk to from high school. I talk to about five or so of my college friends. Chris is different in that most of his friends he still hangs around with are from high school and not college. I should have told her to tell everyone who asks about me (which will probably be one person or less), that I'm off having an exotic life in England. Not the routine, somewhat mundane daily life of a stay-at-home mom. If you don't count all the toilet excitement that Makenna gives me.

Well today was just another day where we went to the pool at the gym. She actually did really well swimming. There was another girl there who had brought some pool toys so Makenna actually said "pease" (please) to borrowing a toy. I would put her on the side of the pool, sitting, she would throw it and then hop in to go get it and start kicking her feet and moving her arms. She's always very upset when I tell her it's time to go. I try and give her a 5 minute warning but I realize she has no concept of time.

It's just amazing to watch her vocabulary grow. She started saying, "that's it" today out of the blue. Yesterday, while waiting for the sacrament to come around, she said "come on". Then she has this thing that is absolutely hilarious - she says "okay" but it's long and drawn out like "oooohhh-kaaay". When we ask her if she wants this or that and/or we guess correctly of what she's asking for, we get "oooohhh-kaaaay". You have to hear the inflection to really appreciate it. Then one time she actually said "oooohhhh-noooo" - which caught us off guard and had us laughing. She's also now learning the value of please. She tries to say it when we tell her no to something. She's also started running for safety from the "naughty seat" to the one parent who wasn't threatening it. So if Chris is saying Makenna, sit in the naughty chair, she comes running to me saying "mommy, mommy, mommy". It's hard not to grab hold of her and hug her and say "I'll save you." I guess that's the ups and downs of being a parent.

No comments: